Subject: TRES: official first light
From: Gabor Furesz <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew Szentgyorgyi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Dave Latham <[email-masked]>, Soeren Meibom <[email-masked]>, Sylvain Korzennik <[email-masked]>, Scott Kenyon <[email-masked]>, Doug Mink <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Guillermo Torres <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Perry Berlind <[email-masked]>, Michael Lee Calkins <[email-masked]>, Wayne Peters <[email-masked]>, "Lyle (Ted) Groner" <[email-masked]>, Emilio Falco <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], "Mark P. Ordway" <[email-masked]>, Gasp
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:13:01 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,

Two days ago we had TRES on the 60" with clear, photometric sky above us
all night long. As the second day of the engineering run (the official
comissioning), we had all systems under control, and so we did dare to
take some real spectra. Here I'd like to share with you the result of one
of these attempts:

- a V=12.3 magnitude star, observed around transit time, with a seeing of
~<1.2 arcsec
- using the 1.4 arcsec fiber (smallest among the three available with
TRES)
- the camera was binned 2x2 to reduce readout noise, so the FWHM of the
fiber image (=the resolution element) is ~2 pixels, which covers 0.087A
@5200A, corresponding to a resolution of R~60.000 (plate scale:
0.0435A/binned pixel, 2.5 km/s per binned pixel @5200A)
- exposure times: 3x120 sec (short)  and 3x600 sec (long)

the results can be found, in terms of:
-processed 2D CCD images in fits format
-extracted, calibrated multi-spec fits files with and without continuum
normalization
-ps plots

at this www address:

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~gfuresz/TRES/TRES.tar.gz     (~20 MB)

the content:
-----------------------------
HTR125-003_short_f.fits		3x120 sec combined 2D fits (median of 3 images)
HTR125-003_short_f.wms.fits	above extracted, calibrated
short.dat			ascii file of above multispec fits
short.ps			plot of the ascii file
HTR125-003_short_fc.wms.fits	same as above but contin. normalized
short_c.dat			ascii file of the cont. norm. version
short_c.ps			plot of the cont. norm. asci file

and the same as above but with "long" instead of "short", meaning the
3x600 sec images were combined (median combination, so the counts in the
non-continuum normalized spectra are giving the count rate per 10
minutes, but due to median combination of 3 images the noise
characteristic is equal to a 3x10 minute integration).

I hope you all like this result - I think it is very promicing!
best,

gabor